October 10, 2014

WCPSS names Wight as principal of Apex Friendship

Alex Sands
Staff Writer


The Board of Education appointed Matthew Wight as principal of Apex Friendship High School on October 7. Wight will be leaving Apex High School January 1, 2015.

Apex Friendship will open in August, 2015 with an estimated 1,300 9th and 10th graders. Upperclassmen and those with upperclassmen siblings will stay at their current schools. Wight said, “This is a guess on my part, but perhaps as many as 30 percent of incoming freshman might be impacted.” He then added, “Based on the proposed district lines, it may impact Holly Springs more than Apex.”

On his decision to leave, Wight explained, “It’s a career decision. The opportunity to open a new school does not come often in one’s career as a principal and it is in a lot of ways considered the greatest compliment that a principal can have.” Wight went on to say, “It wasn’t easy but as people know in life, if you don’t take advantage of an opportunity then sometimes you miss out.”

Wight’s replacement has yet to be announced. Wight predicts an interim principal will be considered. “If you look in Wake County the last couple years, what the practice has been is they would put an interim principal in to have a transition from the leaving person to the permanent person,” Wight said.

As far as an Apex assistant principal taking the spot, Wight clarifies, “I think several of them would be worth consideration. They’ve been here and they know the culture, but again I would say that typically in Wake County they don’t give people high school as their first principalship.”

Wight will be allowed to take up to 10% of the Apex staff along with him. “I’m going to be building the school from nothing so it will be my intention to put together the strongest staff possible,” said Wight. “People who are interested will apply and I’ll interview them about what their vision for the new school is and what they could provide.”
           
It is still unclear if Wight will be handing 2015 seniors their diplomas. “That would certainly be my wish. That’s something that probably my area superintendent would have to decide.” Wight added, “Hopefully, I’ll be at least giving one senior her diploma.”

This won’t be Wight’s first time opening a new school. He says he was fortunate enough to open Salem Middle. “It’s exciting because you get to hire the whole staff. You get to pick the mascot, you pick the colors, and you’re bringing together a brand new group of students. It’s just a great experience to create that new entity,” said Wight.

When asked what he would miss most about Apex, Wight said “the people” and referred to his eight years at Apex as “some of the best years of my life.”

“Part of me wants Apex to know there was an Apex long before I came and it was a great school. There will still be an Apex High School after I leave and it will still be a great school,” Wight said.

The day after his meeting with the staff, Wight e-mailed his co-workers thanking them for their dedication and support. Wight wrote, “I consider myself and my family truly blessed to have been part of the Apex High community and I will always treasure the memories and relationships that I found here.”


As Wight embraces this opportunity, students and faculty will be wishing him the same thing he has reminded us after every announcement - “Make it a great day.”