October 07, 2014

Meet this year's foreign exchange students

Grace Fendrick
Features Editor

Imagine traveling thousands of miles away from your home to stay in a foreign country, where no one knows you or speaks your native language.  That's exactly what these Apex High School exchange students did.  Although they come from all over the globe, they are typical teenagers just like you.  Here is some information about each of them: 

Zsolt Fekete
Home Country: Hungary
American Stereotypes: “I heard Americans are not that clever, but I do not think that’s true. Some of them [are], but most are very hard working”
Favorite & least favorite thing about American schools: 
“I prefer the classes here, because they are much more interesting; in Hungary they are quite boring. Here [I enjoy] weight lifting, because there is no weight lifting in Hungary. But it is [also] quite boring to have the same classes everyday (in America)."
Hobbies: "I am a fighter. I do MMA and I like boxing too. I started with boxing when I was twelve years old. American football is very exciting. I like that.” 


Johanne Klausen
Home Country: Norway
American Stereotypes: “Well, I was maybe imagining the whole jock and cheerleader, and the popular girls. But it’s like everyone has a place, so no one is unpopular.”
Favorite & least favorite thing about American schools: “There are so many opportunities, I come from a very small place, so doing theatre is something I could never do where I come from.”
How does school here differ from your school at home: “Uh... everything… It’s very different, I don’t know where to begin. It’s very strict here, like you can’t go to the bathroom without asking, and you have to sit in your chair until the bell rings. It’s not like that in Norway. Also we have the same eight subjects every day.
Do you have any hobbies, and why you enjoy them?
“I can do theatre which is very nice and [there are] all kind of sports I can try.”


Pegah Zoroofchi
Home Country: Germany
American Stereotypes: “I was here [in America] last year… I went to California… and the stereotypes were from last year [and were proved wrong]. It [America] is not all like we [foreigners] really think it is.”
Favorite & least favorite thing about American schools: “The people are all so nice and they’re all so tolerant. I don’t know if it is my least favorite thing, but it’s really different because here we have the same four classes every day. I don’t know if I like it more or less.”
Hobbies: “Back at home I was hip hop dancing a lot, but I haven't done a lot of dancing here.”
Best tips to get through a long plane flight: “Get good music. I like more R&B music."

Lena Hauberg
Home Country: Germany
American Stereotypes: “Yeah, like fat, big trucks, and some of them are true.”
Favorite & least favorite thing about American schools: “That you can choose your own classes yourself, in Germany I can’t choose.”
How does school here differ from your school at home: “Obviously the language... The classes are also a lot longer [here] than in Germany.”
Hobbies: “Yeah, I’m doing cross country and I’m playing the guitar."
Best tips to get through a long plane flight: “Listen to your phone and fill it with the best music. Have a pillow, and hope you have a nice person next to you."

"Guy" Sabhavash
Home Country: Thailand
Favorite & least favorite thing about American schools: “People are very nice and teachers are very nice too. Some of the culture is different, like people here socialize so much.”
How does school here differ from your school at home: “We sit and the teachers come to my room, but here we go to the teachers’ rooms.”
Hobbies: "I play the electric guitar."
Favorite thing about America: “I love American [food]… I love Chick-fil-A, we [do] not have [them] in Thailand.”
Favorite school subject: “I really like interior design."