March 28, 2014

Apex student collaborates with N.C. State

Zane Muzzilo
Staff Writer

N. C. State logo
Junior Aneri Shah has been given the opportunity to work with professional scientists on the N.C. State Centennial Campus in the chemical engineering field. The internship has to deal with pre-stress polystyrene, a material used in Shrinky Dink paper. Shrinky Dink paper is a type of plastic that folds when heated and scientists are trying to incorporate its shrinking ability into items like clothing and water bottles. “Being able to incorporate the folding of the Shrinky Dink paper into clothing is one of the main goals of this project,” said Shah. “Plastic that you have drawn on is put under LED light and the heat from the light forms the plastic to what you have drawn,” Shah said. This internship allows for more hands on experience than most of the other internships. “In this internship I can actually contribute and do hands on work instead of busy work,” she says.

Shah has been striving for greatness since she was a child. “My dad is an engineer and when I was young he pushed me to think about [the steps behind how things are made] and how electricity works or how a car moves.” Shah has high hopes for the future. “I want to go into the medical field when I grow up, but I am very interested in engineering.” Shah heard of this internship through the AOIT program and science teacher Jeff Derda. Derda is very excited and happy for Shah. “I’m proud of the work Aneri has done, and I’m glad she has taken advantage of such an amazing opportunity.”