September 09, 2014

New Teacher: Jessica Odom

Kenison Garratt
Staff Writer
Miss Jessica Odom
College: N.C. State University.
Subjects: English I and Honors English III.
Inspiration: Her sixth grade language arts and social studies teacher, Mr. Sloan, inspired her to become a teacher. “He was happy and entertaining. I want to enjoy my job and have fun too,” she says.
Past Teaching Experience: This is her fifth year teaching. Previously, she has taught at Hillside High School in Durham.
Favorite Restaurant: Saladelia, in Durham, because of the Mediterranean cuisine and it’s healthy.
Best High School Memory: “Playing softball and being out on the field,” she says.
Most Embarrassing High School Memory: One spirit week she dressed in a pumpkin costume. “Picture of me sleeping in second period, in the yearbook, dressed as a pumpkin,” she says.
Family: She is an only child and had a black lab when she was younger.
If she hadn’t been a teacher… she would have been a park ranger. She says, “It would afford me the opportunity to be outside all the time. Which is something that’s really important to me.”