March 27, 2013

Scholar Athlete: Clay Connors

Zane Muzzillo
Staff Writer

Classes: AP Psychology, English IV (Honors), Calculus III, U.S. History (Honors) 
Clay Conners (left) running for Apex High track.
GPA: 4.75
If you could eat one food every day, what would it be?
Pizza, because you can never eat too much pizza.
How long have you been participating in sports?
I ran for Cross Country and currently run for track. I run the 3200 meters in track and I have been running for Apex since freshman year.
What sparked your interest in sports?
I wanted to stay in shape, so I started running and never looked back.
What’s your favorite team?
When I was a kid my dad forced me to support the Steelers because he is from Pittsburgh.

Who’s your favorite athlete?
Steve Prefontaine because he is very fast and every runner would pick him.
What’s your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Trainspotting because all of the characters had great accents and I loved the story line.
What’s your favorite subject?
Computer science. You can make cool stuff like video games and art.
What is your favorite social networking site?
I like Twitter the best because there are a lot of funny people on it.

What’s your favorite quote?
“You can either be a boy or be a man, but being a man takes a little more muscles,” by Daniel Francis Rogers. I love this quote because it always helps me when I am troubled.
Describe yourself in three words.
Rambunctious, fickle, and ambiguous.   
How much time do you put into your training?  
Two hours a day.
In the future, do you plan on pursuing a career in this sport? If not then what do you plan on doing in life? Why?
I want to go into electrical engineering or computer science because I have to get that cash flow. It is also very interesting, uses math, and if you know math, it’s very easy.