March 26, 2013

Second HOSA anonymous medical question

Matt Wotus
Features Editor 

Dear Grandma Chase,
Something weird has been happening to me. Sometimes when I get up from my bed and stand up, I start to feel really dizzy and lose my balance. This happens randomly and usually whenever I get up from lying down. Can you help me?

Sincerely,
Dizzy Izzie


Hi Dizzy Izzie,
Dizziness from standing up is actually called orthostatic hypotension, but don’t let that alarm you. Usually there is another problem that is causing the dizziness, such as dehydration. Dehydration can lower your blood pressure, and cause you to experience dizziness after standing up. However, dehydration can be avoided easily, just make sure you that you drink plenty of water throughout the day. The Mayo Clinic suggests breathing deeply before standing up, then slowly coming to a standing position. If the symptoms do not go away after a few minutes of rest, medical attention from a doctor is needed. 

Hope you feel better soon.
-Grandma Chase.