April 16, 2015

Potato "promposal" mashes the competition

Adam Mancini & Zane Muzzillo
Staff Writers

Apex High senior Nick Fowler has clinched victory in the “promposal” contest. Fowler asked Andrea Gorcynzski by carving the word prom into a potato. “It was my first try, it took like three minutes,” Fowler explained. The post began to gain attention immediately, reaching 400 (each favorite counts as a vote) favorites in less than a day.


“I don’t understand why this happened. I don’t think anyone really knows why it happened,” Fowler said in reaction to the popularity of his proposal. The young potato whittler was never in it for the fame or the victory. “I didn’t do it for the favorites. I did it for her. I won when she said yes,” said Fowler. The contest ended Monday night, with Fowler’s post standing at 950 favorites, compared to the second place post with 409 favorites. Fowler and Gorcynzski will win free tickets to prom as a result of their first place finish.