April 14, 2015

Mr. Apex competition crowns a new winner

Johunna Gatlin
Staff Writer

Mr. Apex is an annual competition for senior males nominated by the senior class. This competition contains choreographed routines, a talent act, and an interview question. The 2015 Mr. Apex contestants were Zafir Alam, Sammy Camut, Andrew Fiorentino, Tyler Galvin, Trevor Hair, Bailey LaBerteaux, and Connor Riley.

For the talent section of the night Alam performed a magic trick, Camut and Riley danced and sang a duet, Fiorentino sang a song and “promposed” to his girlfriend. Fiorentino also performed a choreographed dance with Galvin while wearing a sumo suit.  Hair sang a song, and LaBerteaux performed a theatrical dance. The end of the night consisted of voting for a contestant and announcing Alam as the winner of the 2015 Mr. Apex competition.


Mr. Apex is not only entertaining to watch, it also forms great relationships between the contestants. “I got to meet a bunch of cool guys that I didn’t know before Mr. Apex.” said Hair. “It brought me closer with a lot of other great senior guys and was just a great way to end my senior year,” said Riley.

This year’s Mr. Apex was very humorous and full of talent and surprises. Alam said, “My favorite part would have to be the magic show I prepared for everyone. Hearing the audience’s reaction to what I was doing was very satisfying.” Fiorentino said, “My favorite part was my promposal to Leanna Smith or when I danced to Sexy and I Know It.”

Each nominee had a fan base behind them whether they knew it or not. “I would like to thank the millions of fans for voting for me and I hope you guys know that I’m sexy and you know it,” said Galvin.  

Mr. Apex contestants continue to inspire the upcoming seniors.  Here is some advice given from LaBerteaux, “Do something that makes you uncomfortable; people will love it.”

At the end of the performance Alam had his moment of glory when he was announced as the winner of Mr. Apex. “I was ecstatic that I won. Everyone else seemed so intimidating and amazing so I was unsure of my chances.”


“Walking around school as Mr. Apex has made my senior year a lot more exciting and fun than before,” says Alam, “Having people recognize me as Mr. Apex makes my days great while also putting a big smile on my face.”