September 14, 2012

Seniors balance stress with finesse

Ciara Healey
Arts and Entertainment Editor

Fall of senior year is notoriously known for the stress and complication many students face while applying to colleges. Most seniors at Apex High are no exception as the stressful application process gets underway.
Senior John Santos struggles to complete
college applications.

“I think the worst part about senior year is going to be getting everything I need for college applications organized. Balancing work, homework, and after school activities is already stressing me out,” said senior Billy Summa. Summa plans to apply to Elon University, High Point University, and UNC Asheville, common choices for aspiring local students. Although the to-do list for many seniors may seem overwhelming, Summa reasons that applying to college is accomplishable with organization. “My stress level is at a seven or eight right now, but I still feel pretty prepared. My only concern right now is getting my SAT scores up a little more. Once I do that, I will feel confident,” said Summa.

Senior Carly Broadwell is applying to seven colleges: UNC Chapel Hill, University of South Carolina, The College of William and Mary, East Carolina University, N.C. State, Duke University, and Harvard University. With this impressive list, deadlines, writing, and interviews occupy most of Broadwell’s free time. “I feel prepared, but I’m afraid I’ll miss something important, like forgetting to send my test scores to one college,” said Broadwell. She knows that organization plays an extremely important role in making the application process simpler. “I keep Post-it notes on my computer screen to keep track of all the login information for applications, and charts of all the components I need to do for each school,” said Broadwell. Combined with her calculus homework, part time job, and volunteer work, this fall can seem overwhelming. “My stress level is definitely around an eight, and I have to remember to use my weekends wisely. Even though I want to spend the whole time socializing, it’s pretty much the only time I can do college applications and catch up on sleep. It’s hard, but I think I’m really going to love senior year. It’ll be my last time to experience high school events and I’m looking forward to it all,” said Broadwell.

To balance the pressure of senior year, exclusive events are planned specifically for this year’s graduating class. Student Council, as well as administration, has arranged various activities for seniors to look forward to. “In addition to Senior Day and Mr. Apex, we’re going to have a separate spirit week this spring just for seniors,” said Student Body President, Leah Pedro. Considering many seniors go “all out” for the fall spirit week, the newly added senior spirit week is highly anticipated by many. “It’s still the beginning of the year so we’re figuring out all of the details, but I think this year is going to be really exciting for the class of 2013,” Pedro said.