September 19, 2012

New teacher: John Teel

Jake Pedersen
Chief Photographer

From: “I was born in Wilson, North Carolina and have lived here in since Apex 1998 and Cary/Raleigh area since 1970.”


John Teel
Previous jobs: “Right before here I worked at West Johnston High School. I worked at American Airlines for 19 years.”

Motivation to become a teacher: “I really enjoy being around younger people. I think that high school students make me feel younger, and since I’m like really up there in years it’s nice to be focused on being younger and feeling younger. Plus I enjoy teaching. I just think it’s one of the greatest jobs that you can possibly have… Teachers have a huge impact on students.”

Reason for choosing subject: “I majored in it in college. I like history. I’ve always liked watching historical television programs and reading history books. It’s natural for me.”

Favorite time period: “I like the Middle Ages to the Renaissance Period. Because of all the creativity that was going on - the music the art, the architecture. I really like that period. When I travel I like to go and visit places that were very important during that time.”

Favorite President: “I like Jimmy Carter. I thought he was a very decent human being. Very caring, giving. Still is. He does a lot of things with Habitat for Humanity.”