January 08, 2015

Dixon returns to Apex High

Alex Sands
Staff Writer


Dr. Thomas Dixon 
Doctor Thomas Dixon began his term as interim principal Jan. 2, after former principal Matthew Wight left to fulfill his duties as the principal of Apex Friendship High, a new high school opening the fall of 2015.

Dixon was principal of Apex High School prior to Wight. “I've probably done as many of these little interim jobs as anybody and coming back here just made me realize just how terrific this school is,” said Dixon. “Not that other schools aren't good, but this is just kind of a step above everything to me.”

Having grown up by the coast in Morehead City, he says him and his wife try to get down to the beach as much as they can. Dixon says he likes to read, walk, golf, and loves dogs. Currently, he’s caring for his new 9 month old golden retriever, the fifth that he’s owned,

Dixon began his career as a math teacher in Wake County, teaching while school was in session, and lifeguarding at the beach during the summer. He worked as a teacher at Aycock Junior High, Enloe High School, and Sanderson High School. After he quit his side job as a lifeguard, Dixon decided to get his administration degree.

He began his first principal position in Tarboro, NC, where he opened Martin Middle School. From there he continued his career to five other schools: Neal Middle School, Githens Middle School, Githens High School, and Southern Durham High School. He then became superintendent of Wilson County for seven years. In 1991, he became principal of Apex High School, where he finished out his career in 2006.

During the first four years of his retirement, Dixon joined a group of retired principals who worked with schools in North Carolina. “These were schools that were classified as low performing because of test scores. We'd go in and work with the principals and the administrative team, trying to help figure out ways to improve the school,” said Dixon.

In 2010, Dixon began accepting interim principalships in Wake County. “This is the tenth one that I've done in Wake County- and by the way, my favorite,” Dixon added.

“When I left we had about 2,200 students and now there’s 2,600,” said Dixon about the changes he’s seen in Apex. “We expanded some electives, like art. AOIT has grown. Just so many more improvements. We had a great run when I was here, but I can see so much more that Mr. Wight and his team have improved. It’s just bigger and better, and it’s just very impressive.”

I've only been here a couple days but I just enjoy everything about high schools, particularly a school that I have some history with,” said Dixon. “I’m just really looking forward to the fitting in, working with teachers, helping students, going to ball games, doing supervisory duties- just all the things you do [as an interim principal]. I mean, it’s just a good place to be.”

Dixon doesn't plan on making any significant changes. “Usually, interim principals do their best to make it so that the teachers and students don’t have to make any adjustments. In other words, whatever Mr. Wight was doing, I want to help keep that going. When they bring in the new principal, whomever that may be, if there are any changes, that’s when they would occur.”

He revealed that Wight will be a part of the graduation ceremony, but cannot confirm if he will be giving diplomas to every senior. “All I know is that he will be involved. I don’t know if I will even still be here, because I'm not sure when the new person will be coming,” said Dixon.”

Dixon says he’s looking forward to the next few months. “I just don’t think it gets any better than Apex, and it’s not just because I was here for 15 years, but I've seen other schools, and I can kind of compare. It isn't that they’re bad. It’s just how good this school is.”