May 30, 2013

Lasting memories

Matt Wotus
Features Editor 

Forty-five seemingly short months ago, I, along with many others, walked into Apex High as freshmen, uncertain about what the next four years held in store. Now just over two weeks from graduation, I see that high school brought a lot more to the table than what we give it credit for.

Honestly, these four years flew by. I distinctly remember walking into my first high school class, English I. That feels like it could be just yesterday. Sure, there are times when school couldn't have gone more slowly, as we all had classes we hated. In reality, when looking at the big picture, these four years are just a small portion of your life. Five years from now, it won’t matter what you wore, what you said, or what you looked like in high school. The only thing that matters is that you’re happy with yourself. As I said, high school is just a small portion of your life, but it’s where we develop an identity. For myself, I sure did a lot of growing up in high school. I developed an identity, made a name for myself, and created so many amazing memories that will last a lifetime.

For me, the memories start freshman year and run all the way through the present. Such memories include my first B ever (trust me, there were more to come), dissecting a crayfish in biology, going bowling in Lifetime Sports, hearing Coach Thomas’ dating advice every day in APUSH, making an Avengers-themed Calculus video, watching videos on the unnecessarily-large cane toads in APES, just talking and chillin’ with Mr. White in AP Macroeconomics, meeting the most awesome people in French III – the list goes on. I’ll get to the non-related school memories in a second, but first there is the class that has allowed me to develop an identity and the teacher that gave me a chance.

Many students at Apex don’t know that we have a newspaper, or don’t know how to get to our blog. If you venture out to the Apex website and click on the tab in the top right corner, you will in fact end up on our website. Freshman year, I knew we had a newspaper, mainly because print copies were still being distributed. I also knew journalism was a possible career path for me, so I applied to be on the staff, and I am so lucky to have been accepted. Three years later, as I sit here writing this, my farewell column, I know that applying was one of the best decisions of my life. The invaluable lessons I learned while part of Legacy far exceed anything I could’ve imagined, and none of this would have been possible without our advisor, Mrs. Knall. Not only did she give me a chance on the staff, she gave me a chance to lead. She gave me a chance as Sports Editor, News Editor, and eventually, Editor-in-Chief. Nothing I have accomplished these past years, whether it be writing my first column or taking control of the paper, would have been possible without her. I hope as she reads over this she understands how grateful I am for her help over the years, because I don’t think I would’ve gotten into UNC without it.  

And then there are the memories that don’t involve school. My group of friends is about as amazing a group as I could’ve wished for, and they have made senior year one I won’t ever forget. The movie nights every weekend, the campouts, and of course prom, which I had the pleasure of attending with my amazing friend Samantha, have left me with thousands of unbelievable memories, and we still have a summer together before we embark on the next stage of our lives. Of course there was my spring break adventures in France, but I touched on that in my last column. Nonetheless, I am fortunate to be able to spend the next four years with a few of my friends at UNC, but most will not be attending the same college with me. I am going to miss every single one of them, and saying goodbye this summer will be the hardest thing I ever have to do. I’ve grown up around them, and they’ve definitely played a part in how I’ve turned out. I hope when they all read this, they understand how much every single one of them means to me. This is for you guys, Scott Epplin, Sarah Patrick, Jade Skinner, Alexandra Tolzman, Samantha Pompeo, Laurel Timko, Sid Shankar, Kyle Malone, Webb Chawla and everyone else: Every single one of you means so much to me, and it pains me that all of us aren’t going to the same college next year, but I know we will remain friends for as long as possible. Let’s make this a summer to remember.

In my last column, I had everyone in tears by this point. I honestly did not mean to do that, but I take it as a compliment. Apparently I have a way with words. To quote Dr. Seuss, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” Anyway, I now speak to the entire Apex High School Class of 2013: We made it guys.