May 30, 2013

Farewell, Legacy

Sarah Muzzillo
Editor-in-Chief

Throughout the past four years, I have taken a total of 32 classes. Some were interesting, quite a few were frankly dull, and others were simply difficult or stressful. Flash forward decades into the future, I’ll remember my nerve-wracking first day as a freshman, slicing open a frog in ninth grade biology and discovering eggs, Algebra II struggles, Coach Todd’s positive spirit and interesting projects in AP Psych, as well as the consistent nausea preceding a timed writing in AP English. However, as I look back on my high school career, one class stands out as the most impactful and significant: Legacy.

When I signed up for newspaper two years ago, I wasn’t completely sure what to expect. I knew that I was a decent writer and enjoyed Intro. to Communications and Mass Media, so newspaper was a logical elective for junior year. I did not realize, however, the long-lasting memories, lessons, and friendships I would experience thanks to Apex High’s incredible and talented newspaper advisor and staff.

I’m immensely grateful for the countless lessons I have learned by being on Legacy’s staff. This class has helped me cultivate my writing abilities, finish work in a timely manner, and allowed me to develop leadership skills by being Features Editor and Editor-in-Chief. Before Legacy, I rarely watched or read the news. Now I’m constantly browsing Huffington Post’s site on my phone or turning on CNN to learn about current events. I’m more informed on what’s happening in my town, my country, and my world. I’m also much more aware of political and social issues, which I may pursue in college.

As I begin a new life chapter at N.C. State, I’ll remember our class discussions, brainstorm sessions, the jokes we shared, the bickering between my brother and me, and the safe haven I have come to know Legacy as. Whenever I was having a stressful day, this class never failed to brighten my mood.

Thank you so much Mrs. Knall, staff and editors (past and present), and, of course, Geoffrey for a wonderful four semesters! I can’t believe this is my last article, but I promise to frequently visit and will never forget the fond memories I have made in newspaper. Stay awesome, Legacy!