October 01, 2012

New teacher: Judy Oakley

Courtney Hamilton
Staff Writer

From: Oakley is from Mississippi, but has lived in North Carolina since 1989.


Previous jobs: Oakley was a programmer at IBM for eleven years. She has been the pianist at Apex Baptist Church since 2000, a stay-at-home mom, and she taught at Clayton High last year.
Judy Oakley

Motivation for becoming a teacher: “I like the idea of using my programming skills and teaching them.”

Reason for choosing subject: “I chose to get a Master's Degree in computer science because I had been exposed to computer programming while doing my co-op semesters at Nasa Langley Research Center. I fell in love with computers and programming. I love the logical part of programming and the thrill of fixing programming bugs. So I decided to finish my math degree and get a master's degree in computer science so I could be a programmer, and I've never regretted that.”

Technology class you would offer: Oakley would offer a class for writing apps for iPads and other Apple products.