October 02, 2012

Feature artist: Demetrius Jackson

Jake Pedersen
Chief Photographer

Senior Demetrius Jackson is a performer with big dreams. He spoke of everything from why he started performing and singing to his dreams.
Demetrius Jackson


Jake Pedersen: What is the form of art you perform?

Demetrius Jackson: I do music, acting, dancing. I like to branch out and be very eclectic so I do a lot of R&B, Pop, Soul, Reggae, Ska, and Gospel. I sing, I produce, I play a lot of instruments.

JP: Why is art important?

DJ: I feel like it’s an expression for me and art is a very powerful tool, because it influences other people and in the right hands you’ll influence a whole generation for a better cause.

JP: What awards have you won?

DJ: None. But as of right now, I’ve helped my friend [junior] Maddy Parascandola produce an album.

JP: How long have you been doing what you do?

DJ: Ever since I was three. I love it.

JP: What is your dream future occupation?

DJ: Being an entertainer. Entertaining the masses. I want to be an influence on younger people who want to do the same thing I want to do.

JP: Ten years from now, where do you hope to see yourself?

DJ: I hope to see myself winning some Grammies, performing in front of hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people.

JP: What’s the most rewarding thing about what you do?

DJ: The kids. The look on people’s faces. The reaction. It’s always good to see someone smile and think “he’s doing something positive with his life. He’s not trying to go out and do something negative, steal and stuff like that.” I get a stereotype for that. It’s always good to tell people you’re doing something positive and influencing people’s lives.