March 19, 2015

Student Showcase: Nikolas Mihaliak

Maya Horton
Staff Writer

Nikolas Mihaliak
Sophomore

Art Class:
“I’m in Art 1, visual arts.”

Favorite color:
“Red, or green.  Well I guess, when I was little Mario and Luigi [the Super Mario brothers] was a big deal.”

Why art:
“I enjoyed art in middle school, so I knew it would be fun.”

Medium of choice:
“I’m really into photography more than painting or sculpting.   I did emotions in pictures [projects] and the environment around me, so that was interesting.  I took nine different pictures and each picture had a different emotion.  One I had was a sad picture, where I took a picture of a beaten up sign in the parking lot in the morning, and the sky was still dark and you can see the sunset in the background.”

Music inspiration:
“No, not really actually.  When I do listen to music it’s like normal pop really.”

Memorable class moment:
“There was this one day where, we all had  this warm up that we had to draw in sign language, and I like to take my time to pay attention to detail, and everyday someone would say ‘Oh my gosh, Nikolas, gold!’ and I was like ‘Oh thanks.’  I’m probably always going to remember that.”

Words of inspiration:

“Never give up.  I know people who have given up because they’re like ‘this person is better than me.’ But you can find something that you’re better at and put your own little spin on it, different from [what] someone else has done, because no artwork is original.”