March 03, 2015

Student Showcase: Alex Betancourt and Sophia Walsh

Maya Horton
Staff Writer


The visual arts classes showcase student artists throughout the school year.  The Legacy asked the teachers of these classes to select some promising talents.  Here are a few artists worth a look.

Alex Betancourt
Freshman

Favorite color:
“Purple.  Well, is it bad I like the color purple because it reminds me of certain YouTubers and the ender room in Minecraft?”

Artistic style:
“I do anything I’m feeling up to, just anime and sometimes animals.  Everything influences my art style; how other people draw, anime, things in life.”


Distinguishing factor:
“I watch Netflix for ungodly amounts of times.”

Favorite creation:
“Currently, it’s this little thing right here, which is a comic about me being a security guard in a video game...it’s all over the place.”

Memorable class moment:
“I just called some kids art thing, during a critique, the balloon down and I just feel so bad for that  because he worked really hard.  It looked really pretty and I just called it that because I didn’t know how else to describe it.”

Words of inspiration:
“Can I just quote Dr. Seuss? ‘Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.’” 


Sophia Walsh
Senior


Favorite color:
“Well I have two.  I like green and I like red, those are my two favorite colors.  But I can’t wear them together cause then I’ll look like Christmas.

Cause for creation:
“Freshman year I had a really bad  injury and I wasn't able to exercise, which is how I relieve stress, and I found art was a really good stress reliever for me.”

Memorable class moment:
“Probably freshman year when I created a painting.   It was probably one of the best paintings I had ever done, for that moment in time. I was really proud of it and Mr. Sands was really proud of it.  And that was kind of the first time it really showed that I had potential.”

Artistic style:
“I’m not really conventional or anything like that.  I just kind of go with it… I definitely have fun and enjoy it.”

Moments of inspiration:
“My best artwork comes when I’m most frustrated.”

Words of Inspiration:
“Don’t care what people think, I mean, even if your artwork looks terrible, or you think it looks funny.  If it makes you happy and it makes you feel good then do it and that’s how you’ll grow as a person.”