February 19, 2013

New teacher: Bryan Marshall Kysor

Zane Muzzillo
Staff Writer

Bryan Kysor recently became
a new history teacher at Apex.
Classes he teaches: “I teach two different academic world history classes and one geography class.”

Experience: Kysor was a substitute teacher for four years in Johnstown, New York and for one month in Durham. This is his first head teaching job.

School: Kysor went to SUNY Oneonta College, where he graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in science and social studies education grades 7-12. He earned a Master’s Degree at Union College in Schenectady, New York.

Relationship: Kysor has a girlfriend named Diana that he met in New York and two hamsters named Copernicus and Penny.

Why he became a teacher: “Because I am passionate about history and I want to pass that passion onto students. There is something about studying the past. I am German and my grandfather served in WWII, so when we studied about Germany I was intrigued because of my personal connection.”

Previous jobs: “I worked at a Raindancer restaurant. I started as a dishwasher and worked my way up to food prep.”

Reason for choosing subject: “I am very interested in history and it was my favorite subject in school.”

Favorite book: Kysor enjoys reading Game of Thrones because it is a fantasy series which tries to be realistic.

Thoughts on Apex: “I think it is a really nice school; I have received a lot of support from the staff and I feel welcome here. This school compares very favorably to other schools.”

Hobbies: Reading, history, traveling, and hanging out.

Pet peeves: “When students don’t have their homework on time.”

Awards: “I went to a two-year school called Fulton Montgomery Community College and I received the Phi Theta Kappa honors award. Phi Theta Kappa is the honor society at the two year college.”

What he was like as a student: “I was quiet, got good grades; I did what I needed to do and I was a good kid.”

Advice he would give students: “Don’t sell yourself short and aim high in life.”

His inspiration: “My tenth grade history teacher; he got me interested in teaching and in history.”

What he hopes his students think of him: “I hope they think I am a fair teacher.”