February 12, 2013

New teacher: Ashley Butterworth

Nicholas Chupka
Staff Writer

Butterworth teaches special education at Apex.
Background and Education: Butterworth was born in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina and earned a Master’s Degree in Teaching and Special Education at N.C. State University.
Previous jobs: She worked with low income families at the Wake County Health Department and also translated Spanish.

Reason for choosing subject area: “People learn in different ways and I really like helping to figure out the best way to explain something so they get it. With special ed., the kids are capable of learning, but may need it taught in a different way.”

Thoughts on Apex so far: “Everyone is really friendly and welcoming, and that’s not always the case in every school; so that’s nice.”

Hobbies: Lately, she has been planning her upcoming wedding this April. But she also enjoys attending N.C. State football games, tailgating, and hosting parties with her friends.

Pet peeves: A lack of respect for teachers and administration.

What she was like as a student: “I was a really good student, all honors and AP, and my mom is a teacher, so I couldn’t get away with anything.”

Advice she would give students: “The most important thing is to make an effort and be nice to their teachers, because if they do that teachers are willing to go the extra mile to help them.”

Her inspirations: “My mom. My mom is the type of person who goes out of her way to help other people. She’s always taught me the importance of being nice to everyone. My mom is working as a testing coordinator and she’s really nice to everyone.”

Most memorable moment as a teacher: “I had a kid thank me for helping him. I don’t think they realize how important that is.”

What she thinks her students think of her: “Half and half. Half of them realize that if they’re doing what they’re supposed to do, I’m helpful and encouraging and they enjoy working with me. The other half probably thinks I’m a pain because I’m constantly reminding them to get back to work.”