April 29, 2014

Boys take 2014 Bojangles Apex Lions Relays

Natalia Ghan
Staff Writer

Mihret running the mile
The 2014 Apex Lions Relays opened with a four mile relay and cool, drizzly conditions.  Despite the weather, 31 national elites were achieved, including junior Sydnei Murphy’s 12.18 100 meter dash. “I was really happy. I’ve never won the 100 in Bojangles before, and had really good competition I hadn’t been able to beat so far this year.” Senior Mihret Coulter’s 4:19.36 mile placed third and also met the national silver standard. “The weather conditions were perfect and we kept a consistent pace until the last lap when two guys out kicked me. That’s what I have to work on.” The boys’ sprint medley relay also performed well, taking first place. Junior Tyler Cook, who ran the second 200 leg of the relay, recounts the race. “We were within a couple seconds of Knightdale, and [senior] Carl Geiger pulled ahead on the second lap of his anchoring 800 meters.” Cook also placed second in the 100-meter dash. “Despite the cold, I managed to set a personal record.” Although most field events were cancelled, Apex threw well in shot put and discus. Senior Jason Lockamy placed second in the men’s discus finals, throwing a 143-09.00.



Amidst some great competition, the boys saw their points add up, and finished in first place. 

This year’s meet also marked Coach Roy Cooper’s 30th year directing the meet and coaching at Apex High School. 

Cooper’s track career began when he outran his peers in gym class. He had been a “distance runner without knowing it.” In PE, Cooper would finish his two laps before anyone else had finished one. “One day, the coach yelled at me for cheating, so not wanting to go against the authority, I began running another lap.  The other kids stuck up for me and said that I had already finished. So he told me that I should join the track team.” Cooper’s decision that day has affected many student athletes who have joined the track team of Apex High School. Athletes from near and far united at the track to honor Cooper at this year’s annual Bojangles meet.  Trudy Monagle, class of 1987, came from Delaware to pay a visit to her former coach. “Roy instilled in me a lifelong love of running and staying fit,” said Monagle.“He taught me how to set goals. I wasn’t one of the fastest runners, but he kept everyone involved.”Monagle is now a marathon runner. Senior and four year runner Spencer Colwell says, “He has always pushed me to dig deeper and believe I can do it for myself.”

Although Cooper has coached for 30 years, he still loves his job.  “I enjoy the process. Watching students come out who have no background in the sport, and seeing them develop into a better thrower, jumper, or runner,” says Cooper.