April 30, 2014

Apex student art displayed in NCMA

Zane Muzzillo & Nicholas Chupka
Staff Writer and News Editor


Teens Inspired, a program run by the North Carolina Museum of Art to better connect with North Carolina youth, has offered three Apex High School students the opportunity to have their artwork displayed in the museum. Students were required to pick a piece of art from the museum’s permanent collection and make their own piece based on that. The three winners: sophomores Hannah Siegel and Michelle Stanziola, and senior Brittany Baril, spoke about the competition and the process behind each of their pieces.

Siegel’s painting “Shades of a Day” was inspired by Monet’s “The Cliff”. “I was immediately drawn to Monet’s series of paintings that he created, using various colors to portray different emotions throughout different times of a day,” she stated on the Apex High School Art blog, adding in a separate statement, “I think that I was really able to communicate a message through my pieces. I was trying to create the message that throughout the day, the environment might change, but the individual stays the same.” Visit Hannah’s art blog at: http://apex-2016-hannahs.blogspot.com/

Stanziola found inspiration in the ancient Greek sculptures of Aphrodite for her piece “What’s the Pointe?” Of all places to create her art she prefers to work on her own, claiming, “I like working at home because that way I can play my music and be in my own little Zen.” Stanziola has a lot of experience using many different mediums of art, “I’ve actually used fire in one of my pieces. I made a ring of fire and it made it look as if the animals were about to jump through the ring and the background was tiger skin. I’ve also used wax, I’ve used duct tape on brick walls and I’m currently doing a piece for the school.” Looking toward the future, she states, “My dream is to go to SCAD [Savannah College of Art and Design] but because the budget is not that big for me I might end up staying in-state.” Visit Michelle’s art blog at:  http://apex-2016-michelle.blogspot.com/

Baril submitted her piece “Mummy in the Afterlife” which was inspired by “False Door of Ni-ankh-Snefru” an ancient Egyptian sculpture held in the museum’s collection. “It was just a competition I was told about in art class for 2D art, so I didn’t really have a choice,” she joked. On her blog she posted, “I had written earlier that I had hoped to use coffee as the color for the background and not the color coffee, but the actual beverage to paint with. Yet, I had problems. My coffee only came in one shade and it was really light. I tried using tea as well, but that was even lighter than the coffee. I ended up having to use watercolor anyways for parts of the background. It still looks good, but not all of it is coffee, which can be a little depressing.” Baril admits she has plans to pursue her art in the future, “I’m going to SCAD next year, I’ve already been accepted.” Visit Brittney’s art blog at: http://mysplendiferousart.blogspot.com/