December 18, 2012

HOSA answers anonymous medical questions

Matt Wotus
Editor-in-Chief


The Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) Club at Apex is answering anonymous medical questions from the name of Grandma Chase. Below is the first question and answer.

Dear Grandma Chase,
I am a student at Apex High School and I have been feeling sick the past couple of days and I have cold-like symptoms, but how can I tell that it’s the flu? What are the symptoms of it? If I go to the doctor and test positive for the flu, what kind of treatment can I expect to receive? How long will I be out of school? Would you recommend that my siblings get the flu shot so they do not become sick?

Sincerely,
Sick and Tired

Dear Sick and Tired,
The flu is very similar to the common cold, but there are several ways to tell the difference. If you have the flu, your symptoms such as weakness, muscle aches, and general fatigue are more severe. Also, you will have a fever, a symptom not associated with the common cold. If you were to test positive for the flu, you could expect antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu or Relenza. Depending on your symptoms, you may be out of school for 1-5 days. I would recommend that you drink lots of water to stay hydrated, and if your doctor says it’s okay, you can take an over the counter pain reliever such as Tylenol per the package directions for the muscle aches and any fevers. Your doctor may also recommend that your siblings get vaccinated if they do not have chronic conditions (like asthma) and are over the age of 2. Feel better!

Yours truly,
Grandma Chase