December 17, 2012

Apex athletes sign with colleges


Matt Wotus, Courtney McCullers, and Matt Krombach
Editor-in-Chief, Sports Editor, and Staff Writer



Megan Hooks (Volleyball) – Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida
“I am really excited to have the opportunity to go and play at the collegiate level,” Hooks said. She added that she was drawn to Flagler by the town the college is in, as well as her future teammates. 

Katy Williams (Swimming) – Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina
“I’m really excited. Davidson was always in my top two,” Williams said.








Sarah Henry (Swimming) – University of Maryland at Baltimore County in Baltimore, Maryland
“It’s a gut feeling. You know it all fits, all the aspects – swimming, coach, academics, dorm life,” Henry said. She added that the academic rigor was important, and also that the president of UMBC was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential People.



Victoria Tschoke (Swimming) – Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia
“It was really stressful…once I committed, it was a big weight lifted off my shoulders. I’m super excited,” Tschoke said.

Derek Sweet (Lacrosse) – Robert Morris University in Moon Township, Pennsylvania
“I’m very excited to play college lacrosse, but I’m more excited that my lacrosse career hasn’t ended,” Sweet said.  “I chose Robert Morris because all of my family lives in Pittsburgh,” he added.




Luke Sieber (Lacrosse) – Lynchburg College in Lynchburg, Virginia
“I am very excited to play with and against increasing talent,” Sieber said. He added, “I chose Lynchburg because they’re ranked seventh in the country; I liked the coaches, players, and the location.  It was 10 times better than anywhere else I considered.”








Camby Abell (Baseball) – University of North Carolina at Asheville in Asheville, North Carolina
“Mainly I’m just really relieved that I did sign,” Abell said.