February 26, 2014

College tips for all

Devon McCarroll
Staff Writer 

Apex alumni were asked the following questions about college and these are their responses.

1. What classes did you find most helpful to take in high school/college?

 Maggie Creamer, class of 2012: "Definitely the AP classes that got me out of gen-eds here, that was the best! It was nice to be ahead and have time in my schedule to take classes that weren't necessary, but that I was actually interested in."

Caroline Lewis, class of 2012: "The most effective classes in high school sometimes depend on your major, but for me they have been CTE courses in business and marketing, and courses I took through AOIT like Computer Applications, Multimedia, and E-Commerce I and II. Coach Thomas' AP U.S. History is definitely one that has stuck with me and helped me a lot! Same with AP U.S. Government and Politics."

Katie Stanton, class of 2012: "AP Calc was super helpful because if you pass the exam then you don't have to take it in college but actually, I think it really helped me learn to think and integrate information - a skill that I've been able to use in other classes too. Speech was super helpful because it makes you more comfortable for presentations, job interview, etc. I recommend taking a Psych course in college because it has really opened my eyes to why certain people may act the way they do and the best way to solve problems with others."

 Collin Gibbons, class of 2012: "AP classes are beneficial in the sense that they are actually pretty comparable to college courses – the writing for APUSH and AP Euro were similar to the history class I took here. The experience of AP exams is also pretty comparable to finals."

Kyle May, class of 2012: "Small Business and Advanced Marketing Studies definitely helped me decide what I wanted to do in college and establish my goals for the workforce."

2. What would you have changed about your high school experience?

Creamer: "I would've joined more stuff and gone to multiple sports games! I was part of a sports team which was awesome and some clubs, but I wanted to be involved in everything! It’s a great way to branch out and meet new people. I also wish I was crazier at football games and went to more other types of games like lacrosse and baseball!"

Lewis: "In high school, I would have definitely gotten more involved and and stopped being afraid to try new things. As high schoolers, you are constantly trying to make yourselves look good on paper for college applications. I wish I hadn't cared so much about that and had done more things just for me!"

Stanton: "I wouldn't have taken high school so seriously! I definitely suggest working hard and getting good grades, but make sure you have fun too and take advantage of being so close to all of your friends."

Gibbons: "I probably would have actually done classes' assigned readings and studied."

May: " I most likely would have taken a few harder classes and really focused on my grades more."

3. How is college different from high school?

Creamer: "College is different in weird ways. It’s more serious, but at the same time you have a lot more free time to explore various avenues. There's a ton to get involved in and so much to choose from and everyone here is excited to make new friends. College is too big to have cliques so you get to meet and mesh with everyone!"

Lewis: "College is different from high school in that you feel so much busier. School and life combined, which sounds really scary but [it] isn't.. There are many more opportunities offered and things to get involved in in college. If you didn't get a chance to do something in high school because of scheduling or time, definitely do it in college."

Stanton: "You have to be way more independent in college - people aren't there to guide you, you kind of have to figure it out on your own. Also, the classes are a lot harder. Just following instructions and studying for a couple hours doesn't guarantee an A. On a more positive note, you have a lot more freedom! There's a lot less busy work and so much more to get involved in."

Gibbons: "The freedom that comes with college is significantly different. You have to take responsibility for your academic work; no one makes you turn anything in, do any of your homework, or even go to class. Students often have to make choices regarding how much effort they actually put into classes, which matters significantly since tests and papers are, for the most part, significantly more involved."

May: "There really isn't such thing as "homework" anymore; it’s just all on you to study and stay on top of everything."

4. How do you save money?

Creamer: "I remove myself from situations where money needs to be spent. It’s hard."

Lewis: "I have saved money just by being creative with when I eat. A lot of clubs will have free pizza at the first meetings so you should take advantage of that! It is hard to keep track of how much I'm spending in college, so I try to make a monthly budget and get a summer internship."

Stanton: "I recommend just keeping track of how much you're spending and cutting out anything that isn't essential. Other than food, I really don't spend money on anything else."

Gibbons: "Try not to eat out all the time; that is by far the easiest way to run through money."

May: "The question of all questions haha. it’s really a conscious effort to save money and it’s really hard to not fall into temptations, but I set goals on things I want to help me hold onto my money."

5. Best advice on picking/finding a roommate?

Creamer: "I have heard good and bad things about random rooming. I would say find a mutual friend or someone who seems cool but that you don't know very well. Someone you would like getting to know! If you don't know anyone like that, then I would suggest a roommate finder application."

Lewis: " Rooming with a friend is not a bad idea, and neither is rooming with someone random. You hear good and bad [things] about both though. I roomed with a friend from Apex- we weren't super close but we definitely are now! If you don't want to room with a friend and don't want to go random, try to find someone you have mutual friends with."

Stanton: "I don't have a ton of advice about picking a roommate but make sure you talk to them about everything to try to minimize any tension that may come up! I recommend [finding a] friend of a friend or something like that because going random makes me nervous, but for some people random works out."

Gibbons: "Talk to a lot of people. And more importantly, ask those people the right questions. Having the same interests doesn't mean y'all could live together. Try to get a sense of how they would be to live with, i.e. preferred sleep schedule, room temperature, coming back late and drunk on weekends, clean or messy, etc. Most universities recommend a website to use, but Facebook also works should your class make a large Facebook group. Additionally, Facebook stalking is encouraged during the roommate search."

May: "Don't think your best friend will be a good fit. Find someone who is like you and you can really hit if off with quickly, even if you don’t know each other that well. My freshman roommate and I knew of each other but didn't know each other well and he was the best roommate I could have possibly gotten."

6. Best advice you received from high school/college that you put into use?

Lewis: "Best advice I've gotten has been to get involved but not too much! All the clubs and opportunities can be overwhelming when you first get to college. Pick a few things that interest you and really invest yourself in them. That's what I did my freshman year and that has worked out great for me. I put in a lot of work to the clubs I'm involved in, but I benefit a lot in return from all of them."

Stanton: "Grades aren't as important as you think they are, so spend your time meeting people and expanding your mind rather than studying 24/7. Being an interesting person is a lot better than having a 4.0. (still working on this one hehe)"

Gibbons: "Learn how to study. Figure out what works best for you, and make sure you actually put in a few hours before tests. I've studied for the better part of 14 hours for some exams."

May: "Find your group. Find what you're good at and get involved with a group on campus. It’s a great way to get out there and meet people that you'll have a lot of fun with for a long time."

7. General tips and tricks for surviving and thriving?

Creamer: "Find a good study spot where you know you can be productive. For me Davis 2nd floor does the trick. Be aware that grades aren't everything and set aside time for fun! You can't be cooped up in your room or you'll never experience the great joys of college!"

Lewis: "Don't spend a lot of time in your dorm room when you get to school. You meet the most people the first few weeks of school. What is "cool" isn't always the best thing to do. (Mom advice but it's really important) Always have a friend with you when you're walking at night. It's four years out of your life, cherish it, learn a lot but also have fun! There are certain things you can do in college that you'll never be able to do again."

Stanton: "Know yourself and your limits. Know what you're willing to do or compromise on and what you aren't. Also, it's important to do well but enjoy yourself! The straight A's won't be worth it if you were miserable the whole time. Lastly, find something you really enjoy doing or a professor you really enjoy talking to/getting to know and put effort into that."

Gibbons: " Work hard but do have fun. After college comes the real world, and you can't go out with friends four nights a week then. Also, unless you know you really are a morning person, morning classes will be the bane of your existence. I realize 9 a.m. sounds late after starting at 7:25 p.m. for at least four years, but I would seriously think about anything before 10 AM if the class isn't required for your major/graduation."

May: "Don't stress too hard. Grades have nothing on a resume compared to experience. Get out and get internships, volunteer hours, things that will help set you apart when you graduate. People would much rather see that than "I had a 4.0 with zero experience and zero friends."