February 24, 2012

Scholar Athlete: Katie Burnet

Jake Pedersen
Senior Katie Burnet before an
Apex lacrosse game.
Staff Writer

Senior Katie Burnet, Lacrosse and Cross Country

 GPA: 4.5
Current Class Schedule: E-Commerce II (Honors), English IV (Honors), PEPI
Favorite teacher: “This is a very tough question because I've enjoyed almost all my teachers, especially my AOIT teachers. However, if I had to choose my influential one it would be Ms. White. Her class was definitely one of the more challenging classes I have taken at Apex. She was willing to spend extra time with me to make sure I understood all the material before tests and helped me to understand my mistakes on tests. She showed me teachers really do care about your success in the classroom” 

Academic Awards and Achievements: A/B Honor Roll (all four years)

 Member of National Honor society
Member of National Technical Honor Society
Athletic Awards and Achievements: First Team High School All American
Lacrosse All Conference Honors
Lacrosse 4 year Varsity Letter (in both Lacrosse and Cross Country)
Lacrosse Captain of Women's Lacrosse and Women's Cross Country (senior year)
 Lacrosse State Champion 2009 and 2011
Lacrosse Academic All-Conference
Selected for Team North Carolina to compete in the Women's Division National Tournament for Lacrosse (in 2009, 2010, and 2011)

Favorite Movie: "Any of the Harry Potter movies, but I like the books better."
Favorite Actor and/or actress: “I have a lot of favorite actors, and I probably couldn't choose just one. But for favorite actress, definitely Zooey Deschanel because I love her quirky character in the show New Girl and her character in 500 Days of Summer.”
Favorite Music: I like all kinds of music
Favorite Band: Dave Matthews Band
Favorite Food: Chicken
Other Hobbies: Disc Golfing, Ultimate Frisbee, Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, anything adventurous
Future Plans: “I will be attending Longwood University next year. I will play D1 lacrosse there and most likely major in Special Education or Elementary/Middle Education.”