February 23, 2012

Long Time Apex Coach Bob Wolfe Retires From Coaching

Coach Wolfe, who has ended his eighteen
year tenure as head football coach at Apex.
Taylor Adcox and Jonathan Crighton 
Features Editor & Sports Editor
Football coach Bob Wolfe has retired after 18 years on the job at Apex.  Head coach since 1994, Wolfe accumulated a 103-99-3 record during his tenure.

“I just felt that inside of me it was time.  I’ve been coaching for 38 years now,” Wolfe said.


Wolfe was promoted to the head coaching position in 1994, after the surprise resignation of Coach Ken Hite.  Hired as an assistant coach only a few days earlier, Wolfe was surprised by the promotion.  “I had been in business, out of coaching,” said Wolfe.  It would be Wolfe’s first coaching position at any level in several years.

Prior to coming to Apex, Wolfe held several coaching jobs, including head coaching positions at Kinston and Wilmington Laney.

Wolfe turned around a failing Apex football program.  Leading up to 1994, the varsity squad had suffered through twelve straight losing seasons.  Starting in 1998, Wolfe’s team turned in eleven winning seasons in a row.  The run also included two co-conference championships and nine state playoff appearances.  In 2008, the team advanced to the third round of the playoffs, the furthest any Apex team has ever advanced.   
           
Over the last three years, Apex has not seen as much success.  Since 2008, the team only won six games, a steep departure from earlier in the decade.
           
“I knew it would take a lot of energy to get the program back to where it was before.  I felt it would be better if someone younger with a bit more energy came in,” said Wolfe. 
           
On the day Wolfe announced he was retiring, he said the team’s reaction was “good about the news, but sad I had decided to do it.”  Wolfe said he will miss working with the players.  “I really enjoyed that.  I’ll really miss the coaches and the players.  There has been a lot of great players and coaches that have come through these doors in my eighteen years here.”
           
After retiring, Wolfe says, “I plan on spending some more time in Virginia.  I have a home in the mountains…I’ll probably do work around the house that I’ve been putting off for years.”  Wolfe also wants to do some travelling and attend more college games of his former players.
           
Wolfe said he has thoroughly enjoyed his time at Apex.  “My time at Apex has been amazing.  It has far exceeded my expectations,” said Wolfe.  “I didn’t expect the amount of success or the way it happened,” said Wolfe.  “To have an impact in school community and peoples’ lives was even better,” he continued.
           
Wolfe is optimistic about Apex’s future.  “I hope they can continue to experience the success that we had,” said Wolfe, continuing “not just the success on the field, [but] the great family atmosphere and team attitude as well.” 

As for new head coach Joe Kilby, Wolfe has some advice.  “Just be himself, do what he does best,” said Wolfe, “then the success will come.”