May 08, 2015

Joe Kilby resigns as Apex head football coach

Matt Sholtis
Sports Editor

After three years as the head football coach at Apex High School, Coach Joe Kilby announced his resignation on Friday. “There was no one reason why I resigned from this position, a lot went into the decision and after everything was weighed this was the best decision for my family and me.” Kilby took over as head football coach in 2012 when he replaced long time coach Bob Wolfe. Although Kilby’s record with the Cougars was 9-23, he took the team to their first playoff appearance since 2008 this past season.


“It wasn’t my desire to be here for only three years, I loved coaching these young men.” Kilby is leaving a very talented team. Almost every offensive weapon will be seniors next season including QB Grayson Boyd, RB Isaiah Totten, one of the conference’s leading rushers this past season, and highly recruited WR Ian Boyd.

“I really enjoyed coaching these young men in the program such as Rondell James, Jason Lockamy, Grayson Boyd, and Isaiah Totten. Those are just a few of so many fine young men that I had the privilege to coach.” Kilby also enjoyed his coaching staff, “I loved coaching with our great staff. We all shared one single bond and that was that we loved to coach football.”

Defensive coordinator Gregg Thomas will be interim head coach as the program begins its search for a new head coach.