March 09, 2012

Wrestlers Reflect on Past Season

Jonathan Crighton 
Sports Editor

Apex and Holly Springs face off in a
holiday scrimmage tournament.
Coach Simon Little is back as the head wrestling coach at Apex High school. “This is not technically my first season as coach. I was head wrestling coach from 2000-2003. This year, however, has exceeded my expectations. I was not sure what to expect since I hadn’t had much contact with the team the past two seasons.” 
Jo Furtick and Nick Giamoni were two wrestlers who represented Apex High this on February 24 and 25 at the state wrestling championships at the Greensboro Coliseum. “We went through a lot of drilling and running every day, and we also had lots of practices,” said Furtick.  
Neither Furtick nor Giamoni managed to place in the championships, but they enjoyed the experience regardless. “My favorite moment from this season was advancing to states at the last match of the regular season,” Giamoni said. “The best part was being able to eat afterwards. We went to Ham’s Burger Place. It was really good,” Furtick added.
Giamoni has some advice for future wrestlers looking to go to states, “You should work as hard as you can the entire four years because it’s over before you know it.” Furtick said in order to improve from last season, “I want to work out in the offseason, get stronger and place at states next year.”